Food is fun to consume, especially when it tastes nice. But one of the many things that attract one to food, besides the way it looks, is the aroma. When food smells good, it will attract everyone from even miles away. And food that smells good, is food that anyone would give a lot to taste.
How does one achieve this feat? We look at the spices and seasoning we use. Spices are aromatic vegetable substances that are put into cooked food to add flavor to it. Seasoning on the other hand, encompasses the salt, herbs and spices that someone cooking adds to their food to enhance the flavor.
Different types of food come with their own natural flavors, which makes the food what it is. For example, a plate of chicken would not taste the same as a plate of turkey, even if the spices used to make them might be similar. Nevertheless, spices bring out the best flavors of the food and balance the taste so it is neither too bland, nor too sweet.
When we look a little further than the flavor spices bring to food, there are health benefits that come with consuming seasoning. Some of them include:
• Spices contain anti-clotting action which help to prevent clotting of the platelets in the blood vessels. This eases blood flow and in the long run, helps to prevent coronary heart diseases and stroke.
• Spices contain minerals like potassium, iron and magnesium. These are nutrients that the body needs to function properly. Potassium helps in controlling the heart rate and blood pressure. Iron helps to metabolize proteins and plays a role in the production of hemoglobin and red blood cells. Magnesium helps to increase energy and calms the nerves. It also relieves muscle aches and spasms.
• Herb seasonings are also known to have natural anti-helminthes that help to control worm infestation.
• Spices help in the smooth digestion of food through augmentation of the intestinal tract mobility and also increases the digestion power by stimulating excessive secretion of gastro-intestinal enzymes inside the gut.
• Decoction of some healthy spices taken by mouth can be treatment for colds, mild fevers, stomach upsets and indigestion.
Spices are generally added towards the end of cooking so that they can retain their flavor. They can be used for cooking in the following ways.
• Preparation of soups and barbecue sauces.
• Enhancing the flavor and taste of vegetable, chicken, meat and fish.
• Used to flavor drinks.
Popular spices used around this world include:
Curry: for seasoning chicken. Adds flavor to food without extra calories.
• Cinnamon: sprinkled on yoghurt, tea and cereal to give it a taste of sweetness without the sugar.
• Garlic: used for meats, sauces, soups and chili.
• Ginger: used for dressings and vegetables and marinades. Also used for breads and yoghurt.
• Salt: used for flavoring any kind of food. A pinch of salt is good.
• Pepper: used to add a little heat to the food.
• Thyme: used for seasoning meats and fish, and also eggs.
• Onion: onion can be used to season almost everything. It adds a unique taste.
Spice up your food with the right spice mix. Whether you want dry spices or in powder form, you can be sure to find any kind you need on the no 1 online marketplace in Nigeria. Simply check out our exhaustive list of seasonings, pick your choice and have them delivered to your doorstep.